The Fulton Street Farmers Market is the oldest and largest in Grand Rapids. When it was established in 1922 there were three other markets in operation: a large wholesale market located on Market Street by the river and railroad tracks, a smaller market on Cottage Grove Avenue on the Southeast side of town, and one on the West side of town by the river on Leonard Street. riginally known as the “East Side Market,” the site where the Fulton Street Farmers Market currently sits was set aside by the city to ease traffic congestion caused by farmers selling produce block by block from their vehicles or wagons. In 1926, an office structure was built, where it remains to this day. The building enjoyed a brief stint as a diner from 1953 to 1955.